January 28th is Data Privacy Day and you can help support and publicise it.
Whilst it was first started in the United States and Canada in January 2008 it commemorates the January 28, 1981, signing of Convention 108 in Europe, the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection.
Data Privacy Day’s goals are to:
- Raise awareness and educate consumers to better understand how their personal information may be collected and the benefits and risks of sharing personal data
- Empower consumers to express their expectations for the use, protection and management of their personal data
- Inspire consumers through concrete, simple and actionable tips to more actively manage their online lives
- Encourage and motivate consumers to consider the privacy implications of their online actions for themselves and others
- Encourage businesses to be data stewards by being open and honest about how they collect, use and share personal information and clearly communicating any available privacy and security controls
Data Privacy Day is backed and championed by leading tech companies such as Intel, Ghostery, SnoopWall, Golden Frog and many, many more.
If you have a website or blog you can download logos, posters and other graphics to use. There are also specific social media images to use on your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ , etc. accounts so everyone can get involved.